In most jurisdictions, odour is one of the key causes of nuisance and community complaints. Intensive agriculture, waste treatment, waste disposal, food manufacture and heavy industry are commonly associated with odour nuisance.
Site selection is a critical step in developing new activities, which can ensure that intractable land use conflicts are avoided. However, even careful site selection can be undermined if poor land use planning leads to encroachment.
If you are unsure of how to approach the subject of odour nuisance, Katestone can help. Speaking with an odour consultant can ensure that your facility can meet the odour expectations and requirements of the regulatory authority and community. We can also help you ensure that encroachment by sensitive land uses is minimised through our strategic planning and peer review services.
Regulators around the world have adopted a large range of approaches to the assessment and management of odour nuisance. Intimate knowledge of the regulatory framework, assessment guidelines and nuisance legislation is required to ensure the best outcome is achieved for the facility and for all stakeholders. Equally, it is important to understand the factors that lead to odour generation, emission, atmospheric transport and exposure. It is a complex issue that requires detailed consideration of many factors.
Is odour nuisance is an issue for your company?
Odour assessments are commonly required to develop an odour management plan for the following circumstances:
- Expansion of, or otherwise change, an existing development, ie. application for a Material Change of Use (MCU)
- Develop a new industry or activity e.g. Development Approval (DA)
- Investigate or resolve nuisance associated with existing activity ie. Transitional Environmental Program (TEP)
- Environmental licence application or renewal
- Pollution Reduction and Abatement Programs
Katestone's odour experts have contributed to research and publications of peer reviewed odour literature, advised regulators on odour policy development, and given evidence in court as an expert witness. We are well equipped to provide you with both practical and technical advice.
We can provide advice on all aspects of odour assessments including:
- Emissions inventories
- Abatement, management and control
- Dispersion modelling
- Odour management plans
- Complaints appraisal and management
- Field odour assessment
- Expert witness
- Odour policy and legislation
Katestone has extensive experience in completing odour impact assessments for a wide range of industries such as:
- Intensive cattle feedlots
- Poultry farms including broilers, breeder/rearer and layer farms
- Free range poultry farms
- Sewage treatment plants
- Sewage collection systems including pump stations and discharge manholes
- Abattoirs and rendering plants
- Landfills and transfer stations
Call or email us today to talk to one of our odour experts.
Katestone odour experts are experienced with a variety of industries including:
– Intensive agriculture (poultry, piggery, feedlot)
– Utilities (wastewater, sewage)
– Food Processing
– Mining, oil and gas
– Waste management (landfill, composting, incineration)
– Asphalt production
– Air quality impact report
– Air quality management plans
– Climate risk and adaptation
– Carbon / GHG management & reporting
– Decision support systems & custom tools
– Dispersion modelling
– Dust management
– Expert advice, expert witness
– Greenhouse and Energy Reporting (NGER Act, AU)
– Health risk
– National Pollutant Inventory (NPI) reporting (AU)
– Odour assessments
– Plume rise
– Pollution forecasting
– Weather data
– Weather forecasting